Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Garden of Eve - The Work Week, Part 2

Towards the end of the week, the ladies start their morning by cutting flowers and taking them to the processing barn to arrange flowers for the farm's garden center and for the farmstands.  This picture does not do them justice.  The field looks so beautiful in the sun and the flowers are so vibrant!





This will give a little better idea of the vibrant color.




On Wednesday, the morning began with major drama:  the dogs, Milano and Casper, got into a huge fight and had to be physically separated for most of the day.  Jon quickly went to try to get them to stop and then Sean jumped up too to try to separate the dogs.  It was very scary.  My theory is that they were still out of sorts from the thunderstorm the night before, so it didn't take much to set them off.  With their white fur, it was easy to see that they were both bleeding, though surprisingly, it was Caspar that seemed to get the worst of it. (Suprising because she is physically larger than Milano.)

We continued to harvest after the fight, but after a while, I left the field to go back to the farmhouse to make dinner for everyone.  I had been promising Sambar soup, which I had made with the help of my friend, Farah, for my office last fall - to great acclaim.  So, I got to work, chopping....and chopping...and chopping.  Everyone trooped in for dinner and it was a big success.

The next day, Thursday, was pretty much the same.  I hadn't made lunch yet, so I went back to the house and made lunch for everyone: chicken and ham in a cream sauce served over pasta.  I didn't add enough milk, so the sauce was a little too thick but still edible.  Sean is a vegetarian, so I sauteed a bunch of vegetables, kinda like a ratatouille, that also seemed to go over fairly well. Everyone comes in for lunch so hungry that I'm not sure if it matters what you put in front of them.

Thursday night was Farmer's Night Out at a local bar.  Chris drove Sherita and I to this place up the road where we met Jon and his girlfriend, Amanda, along with other farmers from the area:  the couple that owns the chicken farm where Jon works on Sundays and another guy that I think had chickens as well as vegetables.  It was karaoke night and we discovered that Sherita can really belt out a song!  She was incredible and sang a couple of songs: Janis Joplin's "Come On" and 10,000 Maniacs version of  "Because the Night."  Wow!! She was amazing.  It was a fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment